Sunday, September 2, 2012

Week 2

I let my cooperating teacher know my goals from our beginning conversation last week.  Because she knew my goals, she helped me work on them and then we had talks about
how I felt when I had to implement them myself.  She also asked me if I had any suggestions to add to her classroom management strategies.  I feel that since I'm only there for a short time I should work hardest on trying to implement her strategies because that's how I'll have the most success (all because of consistency).  I would rather have success with the kids learning her repetoire of CM strategies than throw new things/methods out at the students every day.

My goals for this week are to enjoy the lessons I teach, and to move around the room more when I'm in charge of the class.  I noticed that as I was establishing a comfort level I tended to remain in the direct center at the front of the class.

The word I would choose to describe this week with is calling.  I would use this word because it's what helped me to get through the rough moments.  Even in the times when I see all the paperwork, see all the work that I need to do for Trinity just for one lesson plan, and I begin to feel overwhelmed, a little reminder seemed to just speak to me and say that I can do it.  Pretty soon this practice time will be over and I'll be in the classroom that God called me to be in.  I felt it so strongly at the first day when we had faculty meetings for my school Monday.  I felt tears come to my eyes, and at that moment I felt like I was right where God wanted me to be.  It was pretty awesome.  So, the anxiety, fear, and excitement are still happening interchangeably, but there's also a peace and reassurance that God is with me, and I'll get through this time, and learn so much. 

I saw several different opportunities within the first days of school for my cooperating teacher to create a learning environment that encouraged social interaction, active engagement in learning, and self motivation.  This was set up in a myriad of ways.  The kids were allowed to do several getting to know you activities.  There was discussion of rules based on respect and friendship.  It's nice that this school is coming from a Christian base, and the kids are able to see how they should treat each other from this standpoint.  They also pray with each other which I think sets the tone for a close community of learners and believers.  I also believe several of my cooperating teacher's strategies help to encourage engagement in learning and self motivation.  Sometimes these strategies come in the form of positive reinforcements and rewards, but I feel that this is helping the students to set good habits.  They learn that there are consequences for their actions, and they are in charge of the outcome.

With regard to Chapter 8 and professional dress, I don't believe that it changed my idea about the way I dress because I always try to dress professionally.  I think it's important to dress this way because it sets the tone for your classroom.  You are dressing professionally because you ARE a professional. 

I believe one positive expectation that my cooperating teacher has for her students that I hope to continue is her focus on confronting bullies.  When I say confront, I don't actually mean a confrontation, but she has implemented the stance of the school.  They give the kids a list of things to say if someone is bullying them, and has the students practice standing up for themselves, and making their opinions heard.  I think this is very helpful to the kids and something I'd like to be able to remember and remind them of, because they need to know their value, and not be victims of bullying students.

One thing I need help with is when to write a lesson plan and when not to.  For instance I did a few short introductory lessons (if you could call them that) this week and I'm not sure if I should write out an abbreviated lesson plan for those or not.  The only thing that might surprise my supervisor is that my classroom doesn't have air conditioning.  I'm praying Indian Summer skips a year.

2 comments:

  1. Let me start by saying I checked the weather and today should be the last hot day :)

    Thank you so much for your reflections. I am so glad you see teaching as a calling and that you are confident that God has a plan for you professionally. I'm also glad to hear your insight on how your teacher introduces classroom rules and management, incorporates prayer into the daily routine, and confronts bullying. It makes me thankful that my daughter attends that school :)
    I would think that you should start writing lesson plans once you take over a formal lesson, but please check with Prof. Wennberg on this. Also,were you able to sort of the standards issue?
    Have a great rest of your week and I look forward to seeing you next week.
    P.S. You looked great last night...very professional :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments! I have sent several messages to Prof Wennberg, and awaiting his reply. It was so great to see you. What a surprise! A good one. We'll be talking over next week's schedule tomorrow so I'll be able to have a schedule to you, and I already told Julie about either Thursday or Friday so we'll be prepared.

    P.S. you definitely picked an awesome school! It's a great place to be.

    ReplyDelete